Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

My Photo
Name:

me? i guess you can figure me out as you read my blog.

Friday, December 02, 2005

and how will i teach my children when i am unsure myself??

My opinion on the death penalty has troubled me for quite some time now. I simply have no confirmed stand on this matter. At times, I think that we, human beings, do have the right to punish another human being by condemning him/her to die.

Yet, sometimes
I wonder, who even gave us that right?

Doesn`t the power to give and take life belong to our creator?

When I read really disturbing news on the
cruel and inhuman act a person conducts on another, I feel sickened and angry enough to want to shoot the culprit myself.

However, I often question myself that if I was given a gun to end one’s life, would I pull the trigger?

It bothers me that I can neither say "yes" nor "no" confidently.

15 Comments:

Blogger Visithra said...

i would pull the trigger if it meant saving another person

im all for death penalty for rapists - its a power crime - i can forgive a murderer but not a rapist

5:44 PM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Ifeel the same way as visithra...Rapists need to be punished by death and so do child molesters....

Death or mercy is all very academic..the family who looses a member due to murder will alway want justice to be done....

12:28 AM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

It is a hard question - I know the answer the mothers of the world would give.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

It is a hard question - I know the answer the mothers of the world would give.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Chris Kalani said...

Yeah I'm with you on that one. It all depends on the situation I guess. Some people are willing and capable of changing... when some will be corrupted forever and will continue to do the sick and crazy things no matter how harsh the punishment. And with those people, it really isn’t worth our tax money to keep them living in a prison for 60 years with no chance of ever getting out, what’s the point?

1:49 AM  
Blogger Nisha said...

Hi... which place are u living in... just linked u to my blog..and cudnt find out any country... All i know is that u are ahead of India by around 2 hours.. If u dont mind please :)

Cheers!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

I'm with you on that. Some people in the US have been put to death for mass murder, and others for crimes of passion. I am so torn. Thankfully, it's not my choice. That's one of those moral dilemmas where I just can't see in black and white.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't believe in the death penalty simply because the death of the person being executed then goes on someone's hands. I know it is standard practice to have several people push the plungers or flip the power switch so that no one really knows who executed the person, but their blood is still on someone else's hands.

My uncle was shot to death, point blank in the back of his head by someone who was robbing his liquor store. I can totally understand my aunt beiing pro death penalty.

It's a touchy subject, but I know I wouldn't want the blood of anyone on my hands, so I would never ask for a stranger to execute someone just because I want vengeance. But, perhaps if I was walking in my aunt's shoes I would feel differently.

It's like a roommate I had while in art school. She used to picket abortion clinics on the weekends. Then, she got pregnant from a one-night-stand and then got an abortion. We shouldn't judge people until we have to walk in their shoes.

So, I'm anti-death penalty, and Pro Choice. I hope I never have to experience anything that would make me want vengeance enough to be pro-death penalty.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

BTW, as someone who has been assaulted, I don't believe that rapists should be put to death. I believe they should be castrated and never let out of prison.

Pedophiles should spend their lives locked up in maximum security insane asylums. There's no evidence that they can be cured. Their first offense should lock them away for good.

2:13 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

visithra: i feel strongly about rapist too. but instead of granting them an easy or quick death, i believe they should be castrated and stroked and locked up for good.

gautami: thanks for visiting my blog. in my country, incest(rape) seems rampant...it can`t get any more disgusting than that, i suppose. i can`t believe monsters such as these exist!

9:09 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

miladysa: i agree! in fact, if anything should happen to those i treasure the most, i know what my answer would be!

chris: it all depends on the crime, i guess :) i don`t mind keeping a castrated rapist alive for long.

icyblue: :) malaysia.

librarian: and the grey area is too big!

bhakti: i am sorry about you being an assault victim. as for your aunt, i too understand her stand. i know i would want a torturous death for monsters like that.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

heehhe lol incidentaly the friends and i used to disgust same punishments! but the thing is sometimes this ppl get pardoned n come out only to repeat their sinful acts again - take the case of the kid who was found drowned n raped in a tank - the guy had just come out from serving a sentence for raping another when he was still a minor

3:30 PM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

I too have been troubled by this issue. In the end, I'd have to say no to the death penalty. I believe only God has the right to make that call.

in a way, i'd think death was the easy way out. if i truly wanted a person to suffer, i'd make him/her rot in jail for a lifetime, then rest assured God would continue their rot in hell.

then again, i don't know how i'd feel if someone harmed one of my children. (and i hope i never find out)

4:01 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

visithra: i too always come up with some imaginative punishments for convicted rapist (especially in the case of incest).

LM: i pray so too.

4:39 PM  
Blogger rebel_on_loose said...

Hey this sure was an interesting read...i'm totally for the death sentence, for some people fear is the only deterrant.
-rebel

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home