Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

My Photo
Name:

me? i guess you can figure me out as you read my blog.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

it burns in sumatra. it blurs in malaysia.

It rained ice yesterday!

For the past 2 weeks (or was it longer?) my country has been paying the price for illegal
forest clearing in Sumatra.
2 days ago, it was reported that there was 333 hot spots in Sumatra.
Today`s paper reported the number as 524.
My country might send in fire fighters as reinforcements to help our neighbor contain the fires.
The thing is, we have been suffering from hazy days for the past few years.
I remember hazy days during certain months (when the wind changes) ever since I was in school.

Last year, an Indonesian minister claimed he will propose the death penalty to those who conduct illegal forest clearing via burning.
I read yesterday that he has resigned and the new minister has no update on it.
Through no fault of ours, we are suffering.

Yesterday I came to a haze infested and smoke smelling office.
We have fixed an air ionizer and the air conditioners are at maximum blast, but it is still slightly hazy inside today.
I guess the smell is here to stay for some time, though.
The air freshener does not seem to stand a chance.

Near my office, I think the visibility is about 300m, compared to yesterday’s 1km.

The current API (Air Pollutant Index) is at a hazardous level now. Schools have been advised to be closed. Public has been advised to stay indoors and avoid outdoor activities. Clinics are packed. All in all, we are prisoners in our own homes, offices, buildings, with the smell of acrid burning as companion.

I have not gone out for lunch for the past 2 days. At night, in my neighborhood, I cannot see my opposite neighbor’s house clearly. I am thirsty all the time. I am developing a sore throat. And a running nose. I waited 1 hour to get medicine from the clinic.

I worry for my sister. At her place, the condition is worse.

Yesterday evening, about 5 pm, my colleague cried “It`s raining ice!”. Although dumfounded for some time, I realized that I was witnessing a hailstorm for the first time in my life. And no, sis, I still don`t think I should have gone outside to pick the ice. But if it happens again today, I will venture out and pick a few. All in the name of sisters.

If people thought the short bout of rain will clear the haze, they were clearly mistaken. As far as I can see, the haze has gotten worse.

My mom is coming over for the weekend. She is asthmatic. I worry for her. I have to remind her to bring her inhaler and have it with her all the time.
I can’t stand the smell! It is assaulting my senses even as I type! The Indonesian government must do something fast! We definitely do not want this scenario repeating year after year.

But for now, the hazy days are here to stay; albeit as an unwelcome guest.


Few pictures to show you what we Malaysians have to endure.

Update: As at 4 something pm today, 2 parts in my state have been declared as "state of emergency". All commercial and business centres have been ordered to close until further notice. Only clinics and pharmacies are allowed to operate.

14 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh my gosh! I am speechless.

I hope that it somehow clears up and everyone is ok.

12:51 AM  
Blogger Queen of Cups said...

You, your sis, and your mom are in my thoughts!

Hoping it clears up soon!

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.

I hope everything is okay with you and your family.

Best wishes to you.

4:53 AM  
Blogger BraveIrene said...

Oh wow! London used to have smog like that but not for sixty years or so! My heart goes out to you and I hope it doesn't affect your health too badly.

5:00 AM  
Blogger iggie said...

i hate smog days up here in canada, so i send you my sympathies

hope it clears up soon.

9:08 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

thank you for the well wishes, everybody.

i am now spitting mad at the culprits responsible for this. my sister is burning with fever and is suffering from sore throat and flu. she will come home today. my parents will take her back to our hometown, which is not as badly affected as the place i am currently staying.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

WOW, that's awful! I had no idea that was going on over there. Here I thought global warming was just making higher temps and weird storms over the oceans, which of course, impact us all. I'm sorry for your suffering. Is there hope on the horizon that things might improve soon?

10:57 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

well librarian, they expect us to endure this until october, when the "wind changes direction".

excerpt from Y!

"The Meteorology Department said no respite was expected until October, when rains would help wash away the haze, a mixture of dust, ash, sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide".

this is depressing.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Visithra said...

sigh the more photos I see the more gloomy I am. How many years do you think all this smoke is knocking of us! The smell is just so choking!

12:18 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

hi visithra.
so, this is the suprise you mentioned, huh :)

2:12 PM  
Blogger DARLing said...

oh the HAZe take care of the health ok

10:57 PM  
Blogger Raymond said...

You better get AC installed in your house.Its terrible!! the pictures really show the smog!!I fear for you!!

3:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your country is a hoval

10:40 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

darling & raumond: thank you very much for your concern :)

koh: if you plan to insult somebody, make sure you have the word spelt correctly.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home