Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

My Photo
Name:

me? i guess you can figure me out as you read my blog.

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

May 31st 1999

I was 18.
I have just been offered a place in university to do a degree in IT.

The university is in another state. About 3-4 hours of drive away from my hometown. I was excited and nervous about the prospect of being away from my family and everything that is familiar. When the moment arrived for my family to leave me, my mom cried. I was her baby. I was controlling my tears as I did not want to appear as a cry-baby, or worse, a pampered kid in front of my housemates. But I did get teary.

But I was soon occupied setting up my room and getting better acquainted with my roommate and housemates. There were 10 of us (all girls) in that rented house. For most of us, it was the first time away from home. We were comrades in this new phase of life.

The house I was renting was about 5 minutes walk away from university. That night, the university staff welcoming new students organized some sort of introduction get together over dinner.

The food was lousy. As expected. Of course, no one cooks as well as mommy, right? But we were too excited to pay much attention to eating. The 10 of us were busy sharing life stories. After dinner, the new students were advised to go to early bed as we needed to be up and ready by 8am the next day, as the orientation period will begin then. We looked at each other and I am very sure each of us thought “Early bed? Fat chance!”.

As we were walking back, I heard someone calling out my name. I was surprised and quite happy to see Bear waving at me. Bear and I attended the same high school, and we got to know each other during his final year. He was 1 year my senior, but we were pretty good friends during the short duration we knew each other.

In case you are wondering about the nick name, I swear to GOD that is the nick he gave himself. And no, he is not as big as a bear. Nor as hairy.

I found out that he too is a new student there, and was renting a house in the lane next to ours. There were 6 of them (all boys). Introductions were made. Among that group of boys, there was one boy who appeared so tall to me. When I shook his hand, I remember thinking “Wow. What a tall guy”.

Little did I know that that tall guy will become a very important part of my life.

He became the love of my life.

12 Comments:

Blogger Visithra said...

Ah what a blossom to read on such a gloomy day :) Nice one

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so sweet!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Aww, that is so sweet. Fate's a funny thing, isn't it?

12:04 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Aw. that's so cute!

I just had flashbacks to those first days of college where they try to keep you so busy you can't be homesick.

2:35 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

sarah: i`m glad i inspired something in somebody! :p

visithra: :) thanks.

anc: LOL. i know why you are sighing!

kiki: aint love sweet :)

marissa: it had to be fate for sure!

cheryl: yes, come to think of it, i think they kept us busy so that we don`t get homesick...too much.

10:08 AM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

Strolling down memory lane can be fun. Reading this post makes me remember when I met my first love. Thanks for stirring those memories for me.

2:23 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

shakabuku: you are welcome :)

3:09 PM  
Blogger Shan'Chelle said...

Hmmmmm....were you originally from Manteca California? You sound like someone I knew :-)

3:51 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

shan`celle: then it must me my twin :p. lol. no, i am not from Cali, neither have i been to Cali.
why? did she find her love the same way i did?

4:15 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

oh laks, don`t sound so cynical!

you just haven`t found the right one!

9:13 AM  
Blogger DARLing said...

That was a memorable blog
Well written Hope your love saw this ...

11:01 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

shay: you are welcome :)

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home