The right to abort.
A baby is a miracle. It is beautiful. A gift.
But what if it is unwanted? My take on legalizing abortion? As in many issues, I am divided. As a Hindu, I do not support it. But as a woman, or human even, I sometimes think, why not?
Due to personal belief, I would never consider or support abortion. But I do not wholeheartedly condemn those who do. If I have the right to decide what is wrong and what is right without bothering what society thinks, then why not others? A woman who decides to abort her baby has a right to do so, if that is what she wants. Just as someone has a right to have a baby, another has a right to not want to.
Imagine a couple who are in their teens, and sexually active. The girl gets pregnant. Both of them do not want the baby, nor can they afford one. They are also too scared to tell their parents and peers. If the girl, with the support of her partner, decides to have an abortion, is that right? Or wrong?
The girl of course can opt to give her baby up for adoption. But what is she doesn’t even want to go through her pregnancy? Should she be forced to go through it anyway?
A fetus gets its own heartbeat when it is 22 days old. If the girl performs an abortion before that, it is okay as she is not actually killing her fetus? And if she does it after 22 days, does it make her a murderer?
Deep in my heart, I know it is wrong. You always take a chance when you make love. The act of love might produce a baby. Even condoms are only 99% guaranteed, after all. Don’t want a baby, don’t make love. Of course, the chances of getting pregnant while protected are quite slim, I think. Unless GOD decides to show you who is the boss.
However, when I hear about girls getting their fetus aborted, I do not judge them harshly. In fact, I think being unfaithful to your other half is worse than getting an abortion. In Malaysia, abortion is illegal. I know of a well known doctor who performed illegal abortion who spent jail time. He had been doing it for so many years. A couple of years ago, a teenager who went to him to get her pregnancy terminated died during the operation. Some say he did it for the money. Some say he did it to help those who did not want the baby.
Sometimes, we simply cannot make up our minds on certain issues. There are instances where the gray area will always exist. This is such a topic.
I would never do it, but I do not condemn those who do.
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/fetusdevelopment.html
A baby is a miracle. It is beautiful. A gift.
But what if it is unwanted? My take on legalizing abortion? As in many issues, I am divided. As a Hindu, I do not support it. But as a woman, or human even, I sometimes think, why not?
Due to personal belief, I would never consider or support abortion. But I do not wholeheartedly condemn those who do. If I have the right to decide what is wrong and what is right without bothering what society thinks, then why not others? A woman who decides to abort her baby has a right to do so, if that is what she wants. Just as someone has a right to have a baby, another has a right to not want to.
Imagine a couple who are in their teens, and sexually active. The girl gets pregnant. Both of them do not want the baby, nor can they afford one. They are also too scared to tell their parents and peers. If the girl, with the support of her partner, decides to have an abortion, is that right? Or wrong?
The girl of course can opt to give her baby up for adoption. But what is she doesn’t even want to go through her pregnancy? Should she be forced to go through it anyway?
A fetus gets its own heartbeat when it is 22 days old. If the girl performs an abortion before that, it is okay as she is not actually killing her fetus? And if she does it after 22 days, does it make her a murderer?
Deep in my heart, I know it is wrong. You always take a chance when you make love. The act of love might produce a baby. Even condoms are only 99% guaranteed, after all. Don’t want a baby, don’t make love. Of course, the chances of getting pregnant while protected are quite slim, I think. Unless GOD decides to show you who is the boss.
However, when I hear about girls getting their fetus aborted, I do not judge them harshly. In fact, I think being unfaithful to your other half is worse than getting an abortion. In Malaysia, abortion is illegal. I know of a well known doctor who performed illegal abortion who spent jail time. He had been doing it for so many years. A couple of years ago, a teenager who went to him to get her pregnancy terminated died during the operation. Some say he did it for the money. Some say he did it to help those who did not want the baby.
Sometimes, we simply cannot make up our minds on certain issues. There are instances where the gray area will always exist. This is such a topic.
I would never do it, but I do not condemn those who do.
http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/fetusdevelopment.html





















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home