Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh

My Photo
Name:

me? i guess you can figure me out as you read my blog.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

humans, or clones?

The movie Island got me thinking.

Who or what gave us the right to play creator?
Those in the industry claim that in 5-10 years time, we can choose the genes to create babies. That totally freaks me out.
I have been reading articles and researches on the net, and I don’t understand this need to play mix and match.

What is it going to be like? Will parents be offered packages?

Package A:
Musically talented: 70%
Artistically talented: 50%
Social Skills: 99%
Physical beauty: 70%
Intelligence: 85%
Price: USD 88,760

Package B:
Musically talented: 20%
Artistically talented: 90%
Social Skills: 50%
Physical beauty: 50%
Intelligence: 75%
Price: USD 64, 380

What other packages? What other genetic inheritances will be considered?
Will they offer promotional rates? Limited offers? Sale?
The more money you have, the more “talents” you bestow to your next generation?


Typical 10 year olds conversation in 2030?

Boy A: What? your father did not pay for musical talent?
Boy B: (eyes cast downwards) No..pe.

Boy A: Ahhh! Well, my dad did. And he payed extra for me to get a bit of Maxim!
Boy B: Lucky you, dude.

I don`t see how we can stop human cloning from happening, though. It took more than 227 attempts before Dolly, the sheep was created. Human cloning will be much more complicated. Can you imagine the number of embryos written off as trial and error?

As a human, I am intrigued in this aspect of science. But as a believer in GOD, fate and destiny, I don`t agree with human cloning. But, if I believe that GOD is the master planner and executer of life, then why did HE implant this idea in us, if it is wrong?

All these thoughts on human cloning, GOD, right and wrong, have kept me awake for more than a few days now.

I shouldn`t have watched that movie!


11 Comments:

Blogger Visithra said...

The conversation between the kids sounds scary - but the fact that is can happen is even more scary! Hopefully cloning is never legalised!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

I don't know... I'm torn. You've read what kind of people I deal with. This is what happens with natural selection. My opinion is with cloning or genetic selections, we can only better humanity, however, the ramifications don't really justify it all. I just don't know. It's so very sci-fi... or should I say, sci-non-fi now?

2:16 PM  
Blogger Miladysa said...

I have the same reservations. It is really difficult - we should not be able to choose talents etc. However, when my grandson had AML we were desperate for a cure and I saw so many children die. I'm torn too ....

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to see that movie so bad and now I don't think it's in the theater anymore. :(

I don't know where I stand with cloning...I mean it's scary, but it seems like it would benefit many diseases etc.

I just don't know.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Queen of Cups said...

Wow, deep thoughts for a Tuesday.

The conversation between kids - now that just freaks me out.

I remember back when they cloned a cat... I don't think that I would or could ever clone my pets, it just doesn't seem right, but I can't explain why...

3:07 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

The thing is that try to make it seem like a good thing--oh now you can make sure that don't get genes for diseases, etc. But it's really not; it's scary scary stuff. And it's unnatural. I hope God steps in to stop it cause I don't like it. Luckily I think most people are freaked out about it too.

4:32 AM  
Blogger MunkieFast said...

I belive cloning is so very bad. Have you watched Gattaca or read Brave New World by Huxley? If not you should. Both are very though provoking

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too find it all very disturbing. I loved not knowing what color my son's eyes were going to be or still not knowing how tall he will be someday. If we knew everything already, what fun would actually raising the child be?

10:42 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

visithra: creepy, huh. that`s why i had sleepless nights...

librarian: my sentiments too. there`s pros and cons. but, i really don`t have a good feeling about the prospect of human cloning.

miladysa: sometimes i hate having choices.

shay: i believe in souls and bodies too. i believe when we die, we leave behind the body, but our souls leave on. and end up either in hell, or heaven.

amanda: that`s so sweet :) and you are right. i want a GOD sent baby, not man-made.

kiki: sigh. you and many others, actually.

mel: lol. now that`s a theory. cloned pets. can you think of any cat that can sing? ;)

cheryl: but i think it will be something unavoidable.

shakabuku: movie, yes. book, no. i`ll try to get a copy and read it.

christa: i hope those who are, and might be at this very instant, developing test clones, think about that

3:57 PM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

laks: very true. sigh. i don`t much like changes.

10:10 AM  
Blogger malachi trizec said...

'package b' sounds a whole lot like me.

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home